Monday 28 May 2012

Blog 8 Lost in the university life


I read a blog of my friend’s the other day. Since there are only a several days before the end of being freshmen, she wrote about her reflection of her first year in the university. The passage was like a wake-up call because it classified my confusion which has troubled me for a long time.

My friend wrote that the important reason why she could not adjust to university life was “nostalgia” for the last year in senior high school. I have the same feeling with her. Because of the college entrance examination, everyone in the high school seems to have the same aim-the university. It may be the only time in my life when all the people around me were heading towards the same destination. However, when it comes to university, there are so many different roads ahead us--exchange programmes, CAP and going abroad. We just do not know which road leads to our dream; or rather, which road is the shortest. We faced many choices in China and we are not facing less in Singapore.

A sentence from my friend’s teacher was profound. ”Are you pursuing success or just feeling afraid of failure?” If people are pursuing success, they will seize as many opportunities as they can. If people are afraid of failure, they will push away every opportunities and wait for the so-called “best one”. For me, maybe I am more like the latter one. I am not willing to try whatever I cannot control. I am scared of failure because I am afraid of being frustrated, losing face and disappointing my father. My friend said she could not accustom to the new life due to the feeling of insecurity. And this is also what I was worrying about. Anyway, after reading her blog, I feel clearer in mind.

After all no one can tell what the future holds. And no one knows which way is the shortest to realizing our dream. Whatever challenges we meet, at least we can learn from it. I think this process is also the treasure we get from the university life. Hopefully I will not lose my way.

1 comment:

  1. Every one wants to be successful and afraid of failure,including me. Actually,it is every one'fear to be failed, especially during our senior 3. However, thanks to our fear, our life is exciting and every day is a challenge to fight with the failure.

    ReplyDelete