Saturday 21 January 2012

Blog 1 Chinese students in Singapore--worries and questions


A typical middle school classroom in China

Having stayed in Singapore for a month, I gradually get used to the educational style here. I thought a lot, however, more worries and questions arose as well.

Are you familiar with the pictures? These are photos about senior school life in China, which recall my memories of my school life. Everyday in senior high seemed the same, listening to the teachers, doing the endless text paper, check the answer and listening to the teachers again.


Education here is quite different from that in China. Singapore and many western countries regard creation as a significant part. While in China, education tends to teach students to solve a certain problem. For example, we Chinese students may do well in working under a task. But when it comes to coming up with a new idea, we are at a loss. That may be a reason why we always have nothing to say when asked if there is any question. In a nutshell, Chinese students are better at answering questions than asking questions.

I know little about the school life in Singapore. Are students heavy-burdened? Is their school life full of exercises and text paper?  Grown from so different educational environment, can we catch up with them in university?  Can I achieve what I expect after bridging course? I don't know the answers, maybe time will see.
Wish all the best for us and happy new year~

14 comments:

  1. The pictures do remind me of the life in high school,which is a meaningful period in my life. Well, the educational system here is different from China, but we can adapt ourselves to it. And our seniors' cases tell us that we will do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture is really touching and the problem you mentioned is realistic.What we need is brave,practice and imagination.I hope all of us didn't lose them after a long time of chinese education.But we will find them back and do well in the university.Eventually we can make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words inspire me.Although I'm not sure wether I can make it or not,surely I'll try!

      Delete
  3. As far as I am concerned,exactly,according to what my host family's child said,students here have more activities;However,studies are still the top priority.Their school life is little interesting than ours,but chinese education is not bad,maybe very good in terms of basic education.So,it is great for us to be exposed to two different kinds of education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you are right.You know,sometimes I just feel a little frustrated.I also think Chinese education is not that bad.However,there is still a long way to go.

      Delete
  4. Whatever the education is in China.I really miss that period.Because not only my missing of endless papers but also the missing of my old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,that's a little sad.For me,coming back to China this year is my motivation now.

      Delete
  5. You pictures are so visual!It do remind me the hard but memorable time we have experienced.Just as you said in the last paragraph,I also have the same questions and doubts as you,and the answers are positive or negative,we don't know.What we can do is only try our best to do it whether succeed or fail , cheer or tear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most precious time in our life is when we struggled.Now is another challenge for us.Maybe is a senior three once more.

      Delete
  6. when I was in my senior high school. i always complain it on almost everything...but it's really a place i will never forget.
    and education in china is on it's way to improve, maybe we will see another totally different educational system in a short future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe every journey has a terminal,but memory will never fade away.
      Anyway,we still have a long way to go in Singapore.Treasure every day we spend together~

      Delete
  7. There are so many books!Make me think of my high school, which is a old building. Looking back, in my opinion, it is a precious memory with tear and cheers. Now we are extricated, so let's treasure what we have and let past time pass.What's more, different cultural backgrounds lead to different education. And there are many people who are trying to develop Chinese education. So we need to trust and wait for them, for a better future of China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treasure every day~What we are experiencing now will be our future memories.For me,maybe I had better remove my laziness...

      Delete