Monday 27 February 2012

Blog 3 Reading Journal


In Theme Six, we learned some reading strategies in order to handle a heavy academic study load. The three tips are, preview, skimming, and cluster. Preview means reading the first two paragraphs, the first sentence in the middle paragraphs and then the entire last two paragraphs. When skimming, we do not have to read the entire sentence but move our eyes quickly across the lines and get the key words. Cluster is a way in which we read a group of words at a time rather than read word by word. Before reading, we had a vocabulary check. Then we applied the methods with three different parts of text respectively. We also recorded time during reading.

In my case, the cluster worked the best for me. I improved my reading rate amazingly. However, as far as I am concerned, the three methods have their own advantages and are suitable for different kinds of reading. By preview, we can get the main idea of the passage and it is useful for us to synthesize materials from a large amount of source. Skimming can help us to orientate the important points, while cluster make it quicker to know the details. I will combine the tips Preview and Cluster when I read materials of the lecture.

Anyway, I should apply them in my daily reading and meanwhile, enlarge my vocabulary for better comprehension.

3 comments:

  1. I also have the same feeling that I improve a lot in reading speed, since I cannot read fast before. I find that when I combine the skimming and cluster together, I can read quite fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the tips will became more effective when we have larger vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg. My reading journey disappearred. Omg how comes. Ok the wording i just said is nothing to do with the topic. Back to topic. Reading could be a fairly enjoyable experience. Words, words, words construct gorgeous expression which brings with you a kind of feeling hard to describe. The feelings sometime react with your memory or provoke your deep considerations. It is quite hard to describe the feeling, but I think you know.

    ReplyDelete