Tuesday 21 February 2012

Blog 3 Take out your phone


I decided to write to my father because of a book.
     Among my favourite books there is a special one called Dear Andre which is a collection of letters between Long Yingtai, a Taiwan writer, and her eighteen-year-old son. When I read the book, I envied their opportunity to communicate with each other in such a meaningful way. And that is where my idea came from.
I began my first attempt with a “special” text message in which I talked about my brief reflection of a book. And in my former university, I managed to send the first “formal” email to my father before the SM3 selection. In that email, I told him what I thought about the programme as well as my university life. To my surprise, he was so moved by my simple text messages and the email that he stored them and took a look at them from time to time. This encouraged me to carry on this kind of nonverbal communication.
Until now, I still keep the habit to SNS my father everyday. Through my experience, I know more about my father’s thoughts and the love between have deepened.
Today is my father’s birthday. I sent a text message at midnight so as to make sure that I am the first one to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to him. 
My dear friends, sometimes love need to be expressed. When you read these words, could you please stop for a while and take out your mobile phone? Just a simple text message will do. Tell them you are fine and ask them to take care of themselves.

11 comments:

  1. Very good work,hope you do not spit on me after reading my blog2, just kidding,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly agree with you.I sent my mom a postcard last month, and she said she was so moving when receiving it. Maybe our slight movement for our parents is their great treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Actually I wanted to send a postcard to my dad,but I am always busy doing my assignment before deadline...By the way,how long did it take?I mean the postcard to China.

      Delete
  3. In fact, I do your last suggestion.But ,maybe our family is so numb and ......happens.(......means nothing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,maybe they are just not used to it.Anyway,it is good to have a try!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes we are too shy to express our love to parents; however, it is very important to do so, because there remains shorter and shorter time to communicate with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually,sometimes I feel regret that I did not understand my father well in my childhood.

      Delete
  5. I share the same opinions with you. However mature we may be, in our parents' eyes, we are children forever.
    Sincerely speaking, disaffection towards parents still remains in my mind though I have stepped into adulthood. I am making changes now. Just last weekend, I sent postcards to my parents. They must be astonished and happy to see it!

    On seeing the title, I thought this passage was about iphone or some interesting applications, such sort of things in relation to Information Technology. After dipping into it, I got many resonances from it. It inspires us to show love for our parents and provides a handy approach. Good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was missing my father when I wrote the blog.He is always the hero in my mind.
      Besides,I am a techno-phobe!

      Delete
  6. I like your topic ,maybe I can do something special for my dad too on his birthday^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe an e-card will do if you are too shy to express your love on the phone!

      Delete