Sunday 12 February 2012

Reading Journal


Last week we learnt three tips of reading techniques, which I believe it is useful. Here are these techniques: preview, skim, and cluster.
To begin with, part one of the essay is aimed to train the preview technique. After previewing, I got the main idea, like I know it is about the writer and her father going through an air crash. However, as for more details, such as the writer’s age and characteristic, I can’t describe them specifically. Next, I used the skimming strategy in part two, and my reading rate was 264 words per minute. Surprisingly, the rate increased to 290 words per minute by using the third tip. Moreover, I found it easier to answer the following questions, because I memorized more details.
To summarize, the preview stage works best on condition that I need to read fast, however, there are many details that cannot be captured. Maybe, the combination of the first tip and the third one will be more efficient. In another words, first preview to grasp the grim, and then read clusters of words to cover details. Also, I applied them to reading my novel. Sometimes are great if I can cover many pages an hour but sometimes goes wrong when I have to reread some parts again owing to misunderstanding the plot.
 To simplify, reading techniques are helpful. I believe that practice makes perfect, hence I am supposed to practice more and more if I want to get improvement.

2 comments:

  1. The three tips in reading techniques are sufficient for all reading. Stick to this strategy and you will be reading faster and understand better. If you don't even know the big picture or what the passage is about, it is futile to understand the difficult words by looking up a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree that the three tips are valuable in academic readings,I think they may not work when we are reading a novel.Well,I am not only referring to the previewing skill,but also the other two.In my opinion, it is true that we can get the big picture and the main elements when applying the tips;however,these tips can also break the reading momentum.At this point,it will be hard to follow the plot of the story.In short,we should decide on the strategy according to the content.

    ReplyDelete